Sunday, January 17, 2016

Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Cookie Bars

There's something about the stark cold of winter that makes me want to preheat the oven, melt some butter, cream some sugar and create the most decadent and delicious baked goods. I'm really not one for baking, to be quite frank. I don't like the necessity for exact measurements (because I am so not the eyeball it baker) and I haven't had much success with baking perfection in the past. But! I have found that for those who lack that inherent, grandmotherly baking skill, starting with a cake mix can be an easy way to mask your lack of baking talent. Adding instant pudding and applesauce to a regular cake mix ensures that whatever you're baking will have the necessary moistness. Additionally, I often swap applesauce for oil (usually not completely but it could be done) to cut down on calories and add extra fiber. If you wanted to try out today's recipe without the applesauce, just use 3/4 cup of oil instead of 1/2.

Today's snow flurries had me craving something fresh baked so I mixed up an incredibly easy cookie bar!


Ingredients:

1 box golden butter cake mix (yellow works, too)
1 box instant vanilla pudding mix
1 individual cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
2 large eggs
1 cup milk chocolate chips (or m&ms, or anything you have!)


Directions:

1.) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2.) Grease a 13x9 pan. I use cooking spray to cut down calories but good ol' butter and flour works too.
3.) Dump cake mix, pudding mix, applesauce, oil, water, eggs and chips into Kitchen Aid mixer bowl.
4.) Mix through on low speed.
5.) Spread batter into greased pan and place into the oven. Sprinkle with more chips if desired. 
6.) Bake for 20-27 mins on 350.
7.) Enjoy your effortless baking glory!



1 comment:

  1. looks good! a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete