Monday, July 6, 2015

Summer Cinnamon Zucchini Bread

The spontaneous summer torential downpours and steamy sun are finally starting to pay off here in Southern Maryland as gardens begin producing the fruits of all our spring labor. Well, really my Dad's spring labor considering he is the one who planted our garden. Even if it is at my house, it's definitely his baby - I'm just lucky enough to be the closest one to reap the benefits. Win, win if you ask me! 

The first things to produce in my backyard have been the cukes and zucchini. Oddly enough, both are my absolute favorite things we grow. I was over visiting my parents and noticed a large loaf of something wrapped in foil in the fridge; a spark of excitement hit as I prepared myself for a snack (because there is nothing like a snack from your Momma and Daddy's no matter how old you are!). Zucchini bread! Mom and I sat down and had two big hunks, slathered in butter for lunch and I knew I had to give my hand at recreating this tasty treat. 

If you haven't had zucchini bread, you may think it sounds gross. Vegetables in what is supposed to a be a delicate, sweet bread? What? Don't let that get in the way of trying this recipe out. The zucchini works to both retain the lush moisture of this loaf as well as keep in perfectly bound together. Not to mention, it adds a great deal of fiber and vitamins. The zucchini is grated in this recipe so there is no strange textures or chunks for all you picky eaters out there. In fact, you literally cannot taste the veggie at all. After talking with my Mom and reading a few recipes, I decided to make one up and give it a try. My secret ingredient here is a cup of applesauce to add even more fiber, natural sweetness and nutrients. It also works to keep the loaf perfectly moist! Most recipes call for enough ingredients to make two loaves but I prefer to make only one so that is what this recipe will yield!


If you caught my last post, you know I've got a lot of cooking on my summer agenda. I thought I would kick of my culinary adventure by hopping right into a brand new recipe which I've penned as the first in my personal handwritten collection! 

Ingredients: 

  • 2 Eggs
  • 1/2 Cup Wesson Blend Oil (Vegetable Oil - could also do coconut)
  • 1 Snack Size Cup Apple Sauce (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1-2 Cups grated Zucchini 
  • 1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar
  • 1/2 Cup White Sugar 
  • 1 1/2 Cups Flour (could use whole wheat, white, etc)
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1 - 2 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1 tsp Ground Ginger

This is my first handwritten recipe for my collection! Yay! 

Directions:


  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Grate 1-2 medium zucchini. Keep in mind one medium size grates to about 1 cup. 
  3. Combine all wet ingredients in mixer. Eggs, oil, applesauce. 
  4. Cream in the sugar, baking soda, baking powder, spices. 
  5. Slowly add the flour in, about 1/2 cup at a time until batter forms.
  6. Add in grated zucchini, mix well. 
  7. Grease 1 loaf pan with Pam-like non-stick spray. 
  8. Pour in batter and bake at 325 for approximately 1 hour. 

This makes an amazing breakfast with a little butter and cinnamon sprinkled on top. It is a perfect pair to steaming cup of coffee or spiced chai. I like to heat a piece in the microwave for about 20 seconds to warm it but it is certainly fine cold, too! 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. love it in morning with a hot cup of hazelnut coffee.

    ReplyDelete