Thursday, November 27, 2014

Roasted Root Vegetables with Maple Fig Balamic Marinade

Although the starkness of winter has only just begun, I'm already aching for a farmer's market full of all things green and lively. The bitter cold knocks out most of the vegetables that I truly love so I always try to challenge myself to bring life to the ones I'm not nuts about.

For my Thanksgiving side dish offering, I prepared a spread of roasted root vegetables. Originally, I was going to make a hash with hot sausage and kale added to the roots but then I had a fleeting thought to just simply roast them. This dish is marinaded in a sweet and tangy maple syurp and balasamic vinegar concotion with fresh herbs overnight then roasted at a high temperature. It's a great colorful side for this time of year and the flavors all meld together, giving it a smooth taste. Added bonus? this is a very cheap dish to make!

Ingredients:

1 sweet potato
1 russet potato
1 large turnip
1 large sweet onion
1 large yellow squash
3 carrots
1/2 purple onion
Fresh thyme, rosemary and sage

2 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 fig balasmic vinegar
3/4 olive oil (I used half garlic oil and half olive)
Fresh cracked black pepper
Kosher salt to taste

Directions:

  1. Peel and dice the potatoes, onions and turnips. Chop up the yellow squash. Try to make all the pieces even sized - it will help them cook evenly 
  2. Sprinkle with salt then place in a gallon sized freezer bag. 
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together the syrup, oil, vinegar. Finely chop the fresh herbs. Add salt and pepper.
  4. Place the veggies in the bag and pour marinade over top. 
  5. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
  6. Line baking sheets with foil (you may need two depending on size), spead the vegetables evenly. If they seem a little dry, you can spray them with a little cooking spray. 
  7. Roast until slightly caramelized and tender. Depending on your oven, it will take about 45 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment